J-1 Exchange Visitors

J-1 Status FAQs

J-1 student status allows you to remain in the U.S. for as long as you are a full time student at the school you are approved to attend, and in the program for which you are approved.

J-1 student status also extends to the approved time for Academic Training, the work experience time you may choose to use during or following your degree completion with prior permission from your J-1 sponsor.

There is a 30-day grace period to depart the U.S. following the completion of your J-1 program. This grace period is not for employment, extensions, or transfers.

To be eligible for the J-1 student category, a substantial portion of your financial support must come from an external funding source, for example the University of Bridgeport, your home government or school, or a corporate sponsor. Students with only personal or family funds are not eligible for J-1 status.

J-1 students and their dependents are sometimes subject to the Two Year Foreign Residence Requirement. This means that upon conclusion of your J program, you may have to return to your home country for two years before being able to apply for certain visas or change status to certain work categories (like the H-1) or obtain Permanent Resident status.

J-1 students may receive authorization for part time study or leave of absence due to medical conditions. Part time study for academic reasons may also be authorized. Please refer to these sections under F-1 students.

Have questions? Contact the International Center for Students and Scholars, located at 126 Park Avenue, G-Level, Bridgeport, CT 06604. Or email  internationaloffice@bridgeport.edu.