Reduced Course Load (Part-time Study)

How to Request a Reduced Course Load (Part-Time Study)

Complete the Form

Step 2. Print and complete the Academic Part Time Authorization Form.

You must visit your Academic Advisor and school/college Dean to complete the form. It is a good idea to also have the registration form, if not already done.

Submit Your Form

Step 3. Submit your completed form to the International Center for Students and Scholars.

Bring the form to the office located at in room G133 of the Wahlstrom Library.

Academic Part-Time Authorization FAQs

As per immigration regulations [8 CFR 214.2 (f)(6)], “Successful completion of the full course of study must lead to the attainment of a specific educational or professional objective.” A full course of study for an undergraduate study consists of at least 12 credit hours each semester. A graduate student must follow the normal program definition of your program.

Consult an International Student Advisor at the International Center first. If you are eligible to take a reduced course load, bring the Academic Part-Time Authorization Form to the International Center for authorization after it is signed by both your Academic Advisor and Dean.

No. The International Center must receive the Academic Part-Time Authorization Form before you drop below the full course load.

Failure to receive prior approval for part-time study is a violation of your lawful status in the United States and will result in termination of SEVIS record, losing benefits such as Practical Training or other work opportunities.

Medical recommendation for part-time study or leave of absence requires documentation from a licensed medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy, or licensed clinical psychologist. Please consult an International Student Advisor at the International Center for guidance. The Academic Part-Time Authorization Form is not used for part-time study or leave of absence due to temporary illness or medical condition.