J-1 Student On-Campus Employment

J-1 Student On-Campus Employment FAQs

Am I eligible?

On-campus employment may be available to J-1 students who are in a degree program, are maintaining full time study, have achieved good grades, and have met their financial obligations to the University.


How many hours can I work?

On-campus work permit is required prior to the start of the employment. J-1 students are allowed to work no more than 20 hours per week, except for official school breaks and annual vacation when it may be full-time.


What are the types of on-campus employment?

On campus employment includes opportunities such as hourly work, graduate assistantships and Resident Advisor positions. On campus employment is not guaranteed and international students are required to have full financial support without considering on campus work. Please visit Student Employment Office for on campus employment opportunities.


When can I start working on campus?

All employment must be authorized by the Student Employment Office; J-1 students must visit the International Center for Students and Scholars to have on-campus employment authorized in SEVIS before working.