Practical Matters

If you have moved into a residence hall please notify your hall’s Resident Director about updating your address in the University’s system. Please update your local phone number to us by submitting an Address Change Form for International Students.

How do I update my U.S. local address and phone number if I live off campus?

If you have moved to a new apartment or a new house, please update your contact information within 10 days of moving by submitting an Address Change Form for International Students.





If you wish to apply for a Connecticut Driver’s License or a Connecticut State ID, you will need to visit the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).  The closest DMV to UB is located at:

Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) – Bridgeport Office
95 Sylvan Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06606 

Prepare for your visit to the DMV:

Refer to CT DMV website 



  1. First, make sure our school has your emergency contact information. You may log onto MyUB – Self Service – User Options and fill out the Emergency Information. This needs to be updated once every 6 months.
  2. Try to get in touch with the International Center for Students and Scholars by phone, email, or visit during open office hours. If that is not possible, keep reading.
  3. Review information about how to prepare here. Click here for information.
  4. In case you lose contact with IC during emergency evacuation, contact SEVP through email or by phone 1-800-892-4829 or (703) 603-3400.


MyUB – Self Service – User Options and fill out the Emergency Information.

This step needs to be updated once every 6 months.



Protect: Stay up to date with the latest methods scammers use. Links below are updated by the federal government.

Practice caution and do not readily give sensitive information or money. First talk to someone you trust.

Go to the Campus Security Office to report and come to the International Center for Students and Scholars to discuss your concern.

Talk to a friend if you are unsure and you have a hunch that something is wrong.

If you get a call from someone claiming to be with the IRS asking for a payment, here’s what to do:

  • If you owe federal taxes, or think you may owe taxes, hang up and call the IRS directly at 1-800-829-1040.
  • If you don’t owe taxes, call and report the incident to the Treasury inspector general of tax administration at 1-800-366-4484.
  • You can also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at Please add “IRS Telephone Scam” to the comments in your complaint.

If you get an email that’s purportedly from the IRS, do not open any attachments or click on any links in the email. Send it to

Be aware of other unrelated scams (such as a lottery sweepstakes winner) and solicitations (such as debt relief) that fraudulently claim to be from the IRS. You can read more about identified tax scams at the IRS website,

Remember reporting scams will not affect your immigration status, application or petition. Also, many states allow you to report scams anonymously.

If you are a current student (not on OPT) and need to provide proof of your student status at UB, an Enrollment Verification Letter can be issued. Proof of student status may be required for such things as getting a Connecticut Drivers’ License, a Connecticut state-issued ID, renting a new apartment or house, applying for a bank account, or renewing your F1 or J1 visa.

Currently on OPT? Request a transcript from the Office of Registrar instead.

Your Enrollment Verification Letter is a two business day process. Once your letter has been issued, you will receive an e-mail to your UB email that it is ready for pick up from the Registrar’s Office. You can also check the status of the request on webadvisor.

*** Please Note: Your Enrollment Verification Letter is valid for the current semester after registration.  You should request a new Enrollment Verification Letter if you:

  1. Have registered for new classes or a new semester
  2. Updated your U.S. local address. Remember to update a new address before requesting a letter. (All letters are dated at the top of the page.)

How to apply for the Enrollment Verification Letter:

  1. Go to and click on Login in the upper right corner. In the submenu, click on WebAdvisor.
  2. On WebAdvisor, click on Students.
  3. Under User Account, click on the Enrollment Verification Request link.
  4. Enter your UBNet ID user name and password, then click Log In.
  5. Complete the Enrollment Verification Request form and then click Submit.

You can find information about sources of aid through International Admissions and or ask an admissions counselor located on the 6th floor of the Wahlstrom Library.

It is important that you carry your UB Student ID with you at all times.  If you have not yet received your Student ID, or have lost your Student ID, please visit the Campus Security Department.

Visit UB’s Campus Security website for information about hours of operation to obtain your UB ID, shuttle services, security needs, and other services.

The UB Health Insurance Policy is mandatory for all international students.  Students are automatically enrolled in the health insurance plan provided by the University of Bridgeport and are billed on their student account.

Click this link for more information about UB’s Student Health Insurance.

To find out more about how and where to pay your UB fees for tuition, accommodation, meals and other expenses, please visit our Paying Your Bill page.

Yes, all international students must file a tax return every year whether they have earned income or not. Find out when you need to file and how to do so by following these steps below:

  1. Visit our tax webpage to find more information about U.S. Taxes.
  2. Watch the tax video.
  3. Visit the Vita tax Assistance page found in the link for step one to set up an appointment.

More information on taxes may be obtained at the Internal Revenue Service website at or the Connecticut Department of Revenue Service at

Your family may require a visa to visit the United States to attend your graduation. They will need to visit the nearest US Consulate or Embassy in their home country and provide the necessary documents. First, check the US Consulate or Embassy website in your home country for the details, as they may vary. You may use the template of a sample invitation letter in your application found here Sample Invitation Letter for your Family and Friends.

The best time for you to write this letter and send it to your family back home is dependent upon the standard processing time and conditions of your home country’s US Embassy or Consulate. Please plan ahead!

Address updates should be reported within 10 days. Update us online.Address Update Form
+ +