Instructions for F-1 Students Transferring to the University of Bridgeport
- You are maintaining valid F-1 status at current school
- The gap between your last attendance in your current school and the new program start date at UB is within 5 months or the next available session, whichever comes sooner
- If you are on OPT, the gap between your OPT end date (NOT the grace period end date) and the new program start date at UB is within 5 months or the next available session, whichever comes sooner
- If you are an immediate transfer-in student, the gap between your arrival date in the U.S. and UB’s program start date must be less than 30 days
- Current I-20 must be valid unless you are in the 60-day grace period following your program completion or authorized OPT
UB Does Not Accept a Terminated SEVIS Record
- International Center for Students and Scholars activates the initial record to complete the transfer once you are registered and the semester begins.
- If you are traveling abroad prior to the semester start date, International Admissions Office issues a transfer pending I-20 with a support letter for you to travel. You must return before the Orientation start date. After you return, follow the above-mentioned passport check-in process.
FAQs for Transfer-in or Transfer-out
A school transfer for immigration purposes means a change in the school you are authorized to attend by changing your approved I-20 form. The school transfer procedure must be followed even if the credits that you earned at a previous school are not counted for credit toward your program at U.B.
Yes. A school transfer must be completed even if you are changing your degree level or starting a new degree following Optional Practical Training.
No. A school transfer will terminate any authorized employment based on Economic Hardship, Curricular Practical Training or Optional Practical Training.
Check your holds – Make sure you have no holds on your account.
Check your balance – Payment is due upon registration. Pay off your balance to avoid de-registration and SEVIS termination.
After Step 1 is taken care of, submit an Enrolled Student Transfer Out Form.
Remember: per immigration requirement, you must remain enrolled and attend class before your SEVIS record is released.