J-2 Dependent Information
Your dependent spouse and children (under the age of 21), may apply for the J-2 visa or change of status to J-2 to accompany you in the U.S. while you are in J-1 status.
Documents That J-1 Must Prepare
To have your dependents join you, a DS-2019 form will be issued for them. The following items are required to issue the DS-2019 form:
Forms to complete:
- F2/J2 Application Form, Filled and signed by student
- Affidavit of Support, Filled and signed by student and sponsor
Documentation to gather:
- Proof of marriage for a spouse
- Proof of birthday of spouse, if not on marriage certificate
- Proof of birth for a child
- Proof of financial support for yourself plus an additional $7,510 per dependent
J-2 dependents are allowed to apply to the U.S. immigration service for employment authorization as long as the employment is not for the purpose of supporting the J-1, but instead will be used to support the family’s customary recreational and cultural activities and related travel. Please see the International Center for Students and Scholars for details on application for J-2 employment authorization.