The Filing Process

Who Must File & What to File

Non-Income Filing

All International students, scholars, and dependents who are nonresident aliens MUST file form 8843, even if you DID NOT have any source of income for the current or previous year.

There is no monetary penalty for failure to file. However, in order to be compliant with federal regulations, you must file.

The deadline for Federal and State tax form/return is April 17. If you do not need to file any other tax form/return besides form 8843, the deadline is June 15.

Income Tax Filing

Nonresident aliens present in the United States on an F, J, Q, or M visa MUST file Form 1040NREZ or 1040NR if they engaged in any trade or business and thus they had U.S. source income.

Studying, teaching, and doing research are all considered to be activities in which the taxpayer is engaged in a trade or business.

The due date for filing is April 15 each year. If the only income was from scholarships or other income not subject to withholding, file Form 1040NR by June 15 of the current year.

What You Need To File

Items you need to bring to the VITA Site to have your tax returns prepared:

  • Online Appointment Confirmation Receipt
  • A list with each exact date you entered and left the United States during the tax year being filed which you will be able to find in your passport. Also be prepared to provide the total number of days that you were here in the United States in the tax year being filed including the 2 years prior.
  • Passport
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
  • Current year’s tax package if you received one
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns if available
  • Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit (Voided check or bank statement).

It is extremely important that each person use the correct Social Security Number (SSN). The most accurate information is usually located on your original social security card. Each year hundreds of thousands of returns are delayed in processing or credit/deductions are disallowed because names and Social Security Numbers do not match Social Security Administration records. To prevent processing delays in paper returns and rejected electronically filed returns, volunteers check the accuracy of each Social Security Number, as well as the spelling of the name associated with the number.

If you or your dependent do not have or is not eligible to get a Social Security Number you may need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number which we will assist you in attaining.