The International Center for Students and Scholars (IC) is thrilled to welcome you to the start of your journey at the University of Bridgeport! The IC team strives to offer comprehensive immigration advising and cultural adjustment advising to international students and scholars in support of your academic pursuit. We promote cross-cultural understanding and respect by organizing events throughout each semester. We try to create an inviting and comfortable environment and hope you will find UB a home away from home.
If this is your first time visiting the International Center for Students and Scholars webpage, we encourage you to familiarize yourself with all the information.
You will need to visit us as soon as you arrive in the U.S. It’s important to plan your initial trip to arrive in the U.S. no sooner than 30 days before your program start date as shown on your I-20. Please bring ALL of your documents with you. We are located at G-133 of the Wahlstrom Library. Our building is number 1 on our campus map.
Steps to follow after arriving:
1. Attend your scheduled Check-In Session with International Admissions Office to submit all documents.
2. Passport Check-In (complete this step as soon as you arrive in the USA):
Passport check-in is a mandatory process as per immigration policy and the university has a deadline to report your physical presence and your enrollment to U.S. Immigration authorities. All students are required to complete the passport check-in process with the International Center for Students and Scholars, including:
- Students who are entering the U.S. for the first time on a UB I-20 or DS-2019
- Students who have been in the U.S. on an I-20 or DS-2019 from another school and are transferring to UB
- Students who have attended UB’s English Language Institute and received a new I-20 from International Admissions Office for a degree program
For passport check-in, please bring:
- I-20 or DS2019 (For transfers: bring all previous I-20s or DS2019s)
- Prepared local U.S. address and local phone number
3. Submit your Health Examination Report to the Student Health Services
4. Attend New Student Orientation
5. To learn about maintaining your status, all F-1 students are required to watch the Mandatory Online Immigration Meeting and then take the immigration quiz after you are fully enrolled for your classes. J-1 exchange students will attend a scheduled session (date and location will be announced during the Orientation).
6. Complete emergency contact information through MyUB after you are registered for classes
7. For anyone needing help with finding accommodations either on or off campus you can start with these links:
For undergraduates and students under 21 years of age view Undergraduate Housing
All International Students will need to visit several offices and buildings when they arrive to get settled. Don’t worry, you will find this information when you speak with your admissions counselor during your check-in session and when you watch the Mandatory Online Immigration Meeting. Note that the videos are grouped into nine galleries.
To browse more information on our webpage, start with Resources for New Students on our homepage.
Congratulations and welcome again to UB!
For more information:
International Center for
Students & Scholars
126 Park Avenue, G-Level
Bridgeport, CT 06604
Monday to Thursday
8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
1st and 3rd Thursday of each month
8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.