Bus schedules are available at the campus information counter located in the Student Center. The bus terminal is located at 35 John Street in downtown Bridgeport. For more information, please call (203) 366-7070.
Bridgeport buses that will bring you directly to UB are #1 and #9. You can access their timetables and exact routes here (http://gogbt.com/routes-schedules-maps). There is also a Live Bus Tracker for all Bridgeport buses, which can be accessed here (http://gogbt.com/index.php?page=bus-tracker).
National Bus Lines
For traveling out of the local area and out of state of Connecticut, the following services are available:
- Local: Bridgeport Bus Terminal: (203) 335-1123 or http://gogbt.com/
- Within the state of CT: CT transit: www.cttransit.com
- Long-distance (including Canada and Mexico): Greyhound: (800) 231-222 or www.greyhound.com
- Long-distance: Peter Pan/Trailways: (800) 343-9999 or (203) 334-2116 or http://peterpanbus.com/
- Low-cost long-distance (including Canada): Mega Bus: http://us.megabus.com/
- Low-cost long-distance: Bolt Bus: https://www.boltbus.com/
- Metro North goes southbound to New York City, and northbound to New Haven, making local stops along the way in towns such as Fairfield, Norwalk, Stamford, Stratford, Milford and Hamden. For more information please call 1-800-638-7646 or visit mta.info/mnr
- Amtrak goes to Boston and Washington D.C., as well as other cities and states on the east coast. Call 1-800-872-7245 or visit www.amtrak.com.
- The Bridgeport Railroad Station is located in downtown Bridgeport, adjacent to the bus station on Water Street.
Ferry Boat Services
Ride Buses for Free!
- All full-time UB students are permitted to ride on the Bridgeport city bus system for free. The Greater Bridgeport Transit Authority (GBT) buses stop at many entertainment, shopping, and cultural destinations throughout the city and surrounding towns.
To ride the buses for free, you will need to get a sticker with an expiration date, from UB Campus Security. The sticker will go on your UB Student ID, which you must show when boarding GBT buses.
Airport Shuttle Service
- On select dates during August and January new student orientation, the University will provide free shuttle service for new students from JFK Airport. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info about this service.
At all other times, for transportation from JFK or LaGuardia airports, the University of Bridgeport recommends that you take Prime Time Shuttle (also known as GO Airport Shuttle) to UB. To reserve a seat, go to their website and use a credit card. If you have not reserved a seat before you arrive, you can typically secure a seat on a Prime Time shuttle once you arrive at the airport.
- Once you have arrived at the airport, claimed your baggage, and gone through Customs and Immigration (for International students), go to the Ground Transportation Counter located just outside the baggage claim area.
- Call Prime Time/GO Airport Shuttle on the Courtesy Phone to let them know you have arrived, or tell someone at the Ground Transportation Counter that you want to take the shuttle to the University of Bridgeport. They will tell you where to wait, and the driver will pick you up and take you to your address in Bridgeport.
- The ride to the University of Bridgeport takes about 1 hour. The last van leaves the airports at 10:00p.m.
- The cost for the trip to the University of Bridgeport is about $60. You should give the driver a tip of about $5.
If you arrive at Newark Airport in New Jersey, you can use Connecticut Limo. Follow the same procedure as above, but ask for Connecticut Limo instead. Connecticut Limo does not take you to your campus address but arrives at the Bridgeport Terminal. The price is about $65 per person. The van leaves frequently throughout the day, until midnight. Once you arrive at Bridgeport Terminal, you should ask for a taxi to the University of Bridgeport. The cost of a taxi to campus from the Bridgeport Terminal is about $6.
There is also a direct Amtrak train (www.amtrak.com) from the Newark International Airport to the Bridgeport Railroad Station. If you purchase tickets in advance, it will only cost $29. The train takes around 3 hours to reach Bridgeport. (I did a search and could not find a ticket at that price.)
In the unlikely event that your flight is delayed past the last departure of these pick-up services, you should stay in an airport hotel overnight and come to Bridgeport the following morning.
DO NOT take a taxi directly from any NY/NJ airport to Bridgeport. It is VERY expensive!
Zipcar Car-Sharing Service
- Having a car on campus just got a whole lot easier!Students at the University of Bridgeport can now have wheels with no strings attached! Zipcar, the world’s leading car-sharing service, is now on campus. With Zipcar, members can reserve self-service, on-demand cars by the hour or day, 24/7. All UB students 18 years of age and older can become a member today for only $15 and will receive $35 in free driving credits. Students who are current Hertz Connect members can transfer their membership to Zipcar for FREE! You can transfer your membership at www.zipcar.com/bridgeport.
- Wondering how it works? There are 4 simple steps to Zipcar freedom:
- Join today at www.zipcar.com/bridgeport
- Once you’re a member, reserve a car online or on your phone for as short as an hour or as long as 7 days
- Let yourself into the car with your unique Zipcard (the keys are already in the car) and…
- Drive away (just make sure to return the car at the end of your reservation)
With Zipcar parked right on campus, it’s easy to get downtown, do errands, or even take a road trip. And since Zipcar covers gas, insurance, and up to 180 miles per day, you can enjoy the freedom of the open road without any of the extra costs.
For more information on i.d. and/or documents needed for international students to reserve a Zipcar, please refer to www.zipcar.com/apply/foreign-drivers.
- Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles
The content of services offered by other companies listed on this site is simply provided as a convenience to University of Bridgeport students, faculty and staff. The owners listed are solely responsible for reporting information fairly and accurately. The University of Bridgeport does not review or verify such information for fairness or accuracy, and the University of Bridgeport cannot and does not guarantee or vouch for the fairness or accuracy of the information provided. The inclusion of any property or rental unit on this website does not constitute and shall not be construed or reported as 1) an endorsement or approval by the University of Bridgeport, its properties or business practices, or 2) any warranty or representation by the University of Bridgeport as to the suitability, cleanliness, safety or other attributes of the rental properties, nor any representation as to the owners or their management agents. The University of Bridgeport expressly disclaims any and all responsibility for any problems, injuries or damages that may arise with regard to such services and with regard to disputes concerning such services. All users are encouraged to exercise their own good judgment when evaluating prospective services.